Monday, February 9, 2009

Some Historical Inspiration

So my friend and I decided we needed a girls day out. My husband had told me there was a historical house just a little ways from where I live so we decided to go check it out. The lady that was there said the last owner had no children and no heirs so she left the house to the City of Tyler to preserve it. I'm glad she did because it is a beautiful place.

I thought the front porch was really interesting because the ceiling and shutters are painted different colors. I love the robin's egg blue. But I think one of my favorite things about the house was the little kitchenette. It is the newest addition to the house and it is very small compared to the rest of the rooms, but isn't it so cute! It was blocked off so I couldn't get a good picture of the sink and old stove. But just trust me, it's all really cute.



Just look at the lace! I love the mismatched chairs. Everything else in the house was so perfectly placed. The little quirkiness was welcome.

The portrait is of the lady who last owned the house. I really liked the use of yellows white and gold. This was over a mantel. There is a fireplace in every room in the house, but this was my favorite one. The woman had some talent too! She painted an entire china set! The set is out on the table and makes great eye candy.

This is the table setting. Isn't it wonderful! I love the colors. We just wanted so bad to sit down and have a little tea party. I think if I had a set like this I would have a tea party every day!

Just look at the beautiful detail! It's so elegant!

This is a close up of the tea pot. Look at those salt and pepper shakers! Oh, so cute!!

The woman actually hated this ceiling. Her mom had it painted. It was covered by wall paper for years but was later discovered after the museum curator read an entry about it in her diary.

This is a close up. I was told that this painting is considered the original Tyler roses. Don't ask me what that means exactly but just ooh and ahhh like you do.

Now this baby belongs in my living room! This is called a square grand piano. I have never seen one before. It is not original to the house but it fits in all the same and I'm glad they put it there so I can covet it the rest of my life...because there is no way I could ever acquire one of these babies for myself.
And here we are on the nervereckingly steep and narrow stairs. If you look closely there are orbs around us. Kinda spooky huh. Well it's probably just dust. We had a great time and will probably go back again sometime because there were a lot of pictures i didn't take I wish I did. I was amazed they encouraged us to take pictures at all. I hope some of these pictures were a little inspiring. I have to get to my hubby now. He is going to starve if I don't start dinner very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment